As a student, your mental health is such an important factor to consider when it comes to dealing with the stresses and responsibilities you face on a daily basis.

Fall break is quickly approaching and many students will likely be going home to spend that time with their families. Whether you’re away from campus or here in town, there are many mental health resources available to help Carleton students in need.

TAO Self-Help is an online mental health resource that offers many different therapeutic online activities. TAO provides self-directed modules and practice tools to help students learn positive skills for personal growth. Students are also able to conference with counselors over video through this resource.

Good2Talk is a free professional support and counselling service via the telephone that offers Ontario post-secondary students a safe place to share their stresses and concerns anonymously and receive treatment and comfort. It is available 24/7 and they can support students who are experiencing issues like academic stress, anxiety, relationship struggles, employment or financial challenges, substance use, abuse, panic or crisis and suicidal thoughts.

For the students who choose to remain in Ottawa during the fall break, all of Carleton’s on-campus mental health resources will remain open and available for drop-ins and appointments.

Health and Counselling Services (HCS) provides students with a counselling service where they are able to do drop-ins or book appointments. They offer short term individual counselling and same-day counselling. For students who live on-campus, HCS also has counselling services specifically for students in residence, Residence Counselling and Wellness Service.

  • Grad-focused Counselling Services
    Students can call to make an appointment with Alisa McClain, the grad-focused counsellor.  Alternatively, if the issue feels urgent, a student can go to health services at 10:45 a.m. or after Monday through Friday and request a same-day appointment.  Grad students can request to be placed with the grad counsellor, though they may be placed with a different counsellor depending on the available spots.
  • The Residence Counselling and Wellness Service is a satellite office of HCS. This office, located in 131 Renfrew Building, offers students counselling for any forms of distress they may be facing throughout their university careers, such as depression or anxiety. There are three licensed counselors available and residence students are able to visit drop-in hours or make appointments. This office is also home to the Wellness Space, a safe and respectful place, which offers students in residence the chance to relax and de-stress by providing many different activities, such as completing puzzles, light therapy, colouring and bracelet making.
  • The Centre for Indigenous Initiatives provides support services for indigenous students, such as First Nations, Inuit and Métis. Carleton has counselors that are indigenous and have specifically worked with different indigenous communities. Recently, Carleton welcomed a new indigenous counselor, Staci Loiselle, to help support and counsel indigenous students. The counselling services are free and can be done through drop-ins or booked appointments.

GSA Services
The Graduate Students’ Association offers the Graduate Peer Support and Mental Health program: This program, which offers 1-on-1 support and group-facilitated events) was created to build emotional support for graduate students who face personal or academic difficulties at Carleton. For more details, please contact Rukiya Mohamed, Peer Support Program Coordinator at

Thursday, October 10, 2019 in ,
Share: Twitter, Facebook