Exploring Careers Outside of Academia: Get the job you want and the resume you need (3 hour workshop)
October 30, 2017 at 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM
|Location:||1501 Carleton Technology and Training Centre|
Are you thinking of looking for work in the private or public sector upon completion of your graduate level degree but are not sure where to begin? Discover how you can figure out your place in the labour market and find direction in your career outside academia.
This 3-hour workshop will help you:
- Understand the stages of the career planning cycle and importance of self-awareness and career research
- Gain an understanding of how to identify your sought-after transferable skills
- Find out about the hidden job market and how to access it
In addition, after attending this workshop you will:
- Identify the resume format that best highlights your skills and experiences
- Understand the differences between an academic CV and a resume for industry
- Discover how to identify and best market your transferable skills
- Develop the ability to format a targeted resume for specific positions and organizations
- Understand how to write accomplishment-based job and skill statements
This workshop is facilitated by Career Services.
All graduate students are welcome. If you are a TA, this session counts toward voluntary paid training hours, provided that you are working as a TA in the term when the training takes place.