Past Event! Note: this event has already taken place.
Mitacs workshop: Practice Your Presentation Skills I
March 23, 2018 at 8:45 AM to 5:00 PM
|Location:||482 MacOdrum Library|
In this one-day workshop, theory is introduced in short bursts and participants spend the majority of time practicing their presentation skills while receiving feedback.
The focus on extensive practice and feedback is what makes the program meaningful, and is what makes the learning stick.
Through participating and completing this workshop, participants will:
- Broaden their understanding of presentation logistics
- Gain a greater ability to persuade and motivate others
- Understand how to plan and structure presentations
- Understand how (and how not to) use visual aids
- Learn to engage others through genuine and authentic presentation
- Learn tools to overcome and manage fears of public speaking
- Gain onsite practice and receive expert and peer feedback
- Be perceived as an expert in their topic area
Cost: This workshop, as with all Mitacs workshops, is free for graduate students and postdoctoral fellows. However, the preauthorization of a valid credit card is required as part of the registration process. A $50 penalty will be applied to all late cancellations (cancellations that are not made 5 days or more before the workshop date), no shows, or incomplete attendance. These penalties are only charged after the completion of a workshop and no charges are ever made to those who participate in full. For answers to some frequently asked questions, please visit the Mitacs help page here.
If you are a TA, this session counts toward voluntary paid training hours, provided that you are working as a TA in the term when the training takes place.