How does the OGS program work?
An Ontario Graduate Scholarship is valued at up to $15,000 for one year ($5,000 per term for up to three terms) and is jointly awarded by the Province and Carleton University. The Province pays two-thirds of the cost (i.e. up to $10,000 over 3 terms) and Carleton pays one-third (i.e. up to $5,000 over 3 terms). OGS is different from other prestigious external awards such as SSHRC and NSERC since it requires a matching contribution from the University. Note that, If you are in receipt of OGS, FGPA will report this to the Ministry (OSAP) on your behalf.
These awards are $5,000 per term (2-3 consecutive terms).
- Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or international students who hold a valid student permit at time of application
- All students must have a 10.0 GPA (A-) in each of their last two years of full-time study
- Currently enrolled in a full-time graduate program at Carleton or 4th year students who are planning to pursue a grad degree program at Carleton in 2021-22
- Must be planning to study full-time next year; students with disabilities may study part-time
- Students who are in or will be going into an extension term are not eligible to hold an OGS
- Students whose program time to completion is before Dec. 31st of the academic year in which you would hold the award are not eligible to apply (please verify using your audit in Carleton Central or with your department)
- Cannot be in default on any Canadian government-sponsored loan
- Cannot have held more than a maximum of six years government funding
For the 2021 awards, as ITS will be shutting down all Banner, Carleton Central and BDM, we have changed the OGS deadline to November 15h. The referee deadline will remain the same, December 1st.
1. Students can hold scholarships in excess of $10,000, including RAs, TAs etc. However, they may not hold a Tri-Council award, QEII or Trillium award concurrently with the OGS.
2. All students must have a GPA of 10.0 (A-) in each of the last two years of full-time study.
3. If I Have Additional Questions About OGS Awards for 2020-21, Where Can I Find Answers?
If you cannot find answers to your Questions on the FGPA website, then please contact Leslie Main (firstname.lastname@example.org)
1. If I am currently enrolled at Carleton where do I apply? You apply to the institution you plan to attend. Please check the website for OGS information at each specific institution you are interested in attending.
2. If I have graduated or completed my program at an Ontario university in the past year, where do I apply? You apply to the institution you plan to attend. Please check the website for OGS information at each specific institution you are interested in attending.
3. If I graduated from a university outside of Ontario or if I graduated from an Ontario university more than a year ago, where do I apply? Apply to the institution you plan to attend graduate school. Please check the specific institution website for information about their OGS process. If you plan to attend Carleton, please send your application to the Graduate Administrator at the Carleton department you plan to attend.
4. Can I fax my OGS application to Carleton and/or photocopy the OGS application form and the reports from the professors? No.All students, who have a banner ID and can access Carleton Central, should be using the online application. All others use the forms below (scroll down)….original OGS applications and documents must be submitted.
5. What is the numerical equivalent of an A-? 80%
6. On the application form, what is meant by “Proposed Studies”? This is the program you will be registered in at the time you take up the award.
7. Do I have to ask a faculty member from the university I am attending to write an academic assessment (reference) or can I ask a faculty member from another university? You may ask any faculty member, regardless of the university. If you are applying to a professional program, your referee may be a professional. However, they should speak to your academic ability.
8. Do the reports from the professors have to be in a sealed envelop? No, however, emailed reference letters should be sent directly to the Departmental Graduate Administrator.
9. Do I have to send an original (official) transcript? Yes.
Please note: Carleton acknowledges that the widespread disruption caused by the COVID-19
pandemic may hinder the ability of some applicants to access official and up-to-date
versions of their transcripts in advance of the deadline date, particularly at institutions
which do not currently provide official electronic versions of these documents. As
such, for the fall 2020 competition, NSERC will not completely reject
applications that include unofficial transcripts in lieu of official transcripts.
Applicants and SLOs should be aware of the following:
• electronic transcripts provided by an institution’s registrar’s office are
considered by NSERC to be official transcripts. Applicants should check with
their institution (s) to verify whether this option is available to them prior to
submitting an application.
• while applications containing unofficial transcripts will be accepted, applicants
should note that submission of an application will continue to serve as a normal
- All students, who have MC1 credentials and can access Carleton central should be using the online application, available through Carleton Central. If you have applied to Carleton in the past but never attended or who have graduated and are planning to come back and have MCI credentials, please log into Carleton Central and use the online form. You must complete the online application and upload the requested documents (found in Carleton Central under Awards and Financial Assistance, Graduate Online Application Forms) by Nov. 15. Your referees will be notified by email once you have submitted your application. They will then have until Dec. 1 to submit their referee form.
- All Other Applicants should fill out the OGS application form available under “Application Forms” on this page (scroll down). Please DOWNLOAD the .pdf forms and complete. Once completed, you must print it and include it in your OGS application package.
- PLEASE NOTE: Applications must NOT be double-sided. You must assemble and submit an OGS application package that contains the following (scroll down to find forms).
- Get Transcripts (Official transcripts are required for OGS applications from any of the previous post- secondary institutions you have attended.)
- Request two References: We will accept one professional reference but it must speak to your academic abilities.
- Submit Your Completed Application (You should submit your complete application, with all official transcripts, references and other documents, to the graduate administrator at the department at Carleton that you are applying to.)
- Accept Your Offer (If you have a pending decision from SSHRC, NSERC or CIHR and have been successful in the OGS competition, please accept your OGS offer. If you then receive a positive result regarding a different external award, your funding with be revised. In order to accept this award, you will need to print out the OGS 2020-2021 Notice of Acceptance form and submit it to the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs, 512 Tory Building or email it to email@example.com.
Application Forms for the 2020-21 Academic Year
(Please download and save a blank copy before completing these forms). All of the following forms will be posted shortly
- OGS Application Form (all pages) Note that all students who have a banner ID and can access Carleton central should be using the online application forms, available through Carleton Central.
- Application Checklist
- Research/Program Statement (Tell the committee what you plan to study, the program’s fit with your studies I had and your career plans)
- Awards Pages (Optional, if you do not have any awards you are not required to submit this page)
- Publication Pages (Optional, if you do not have any publications you are not required to submit this page)
- Academic Assessment form
- Temporary resident visa student – student study permit (if applicable)
- Application Tips (power point presentation)
- Example of a Successful OGS proposal
- Example (two) of a Successful OGS proposal
- OGS 2021-2022 Notice of Acceptance
Departments, please note that you will need to submit a Departmental Ranking Sheet to FGPA.