The Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs (FGPA) is here to help. If you have a question, please do not hesitate to email us at


Academic Programs

Academic Programs

For the full list of graduate academic programs available at Carleton University, please click here to our Graduate Admissions site.

International Students

Who can help me with an immigration question such as study or work permits?

The International Student Services Office (ISSO) has certified Immigration Advisors who can provide guidance to students. You can contact the ISSO at You can also review the ISSO’s FAQ website by clicking here.


I am a Graduate student with questions about why UHIP coverage. What should I do?

For an update on UHIP information, please go to the ISSO website.

Please note that if you are registered as a Special student, your UHIP coverage is valid only for the term(s) you are enrolled in classes.

Kindly note that UHIP does not cover the cost of prescription drugs, and dental and vision care. These are offered through the supplemental plans with the Graduate Student Association (GSA), and students should consult with them directly about how non-registration may impact coverage.

I am an international graduate student and I have some questions about my status. Where can I go for help?

Please contact the International Student Services Office (ISSO). The best way to connect with the ISSO is by email. You should receive a reply to your inquiry within 2-4 business days. There are several FAQs available on the ISSO’s website that provide useful information.


Given that TA and Scholarship funding will be moved to the next available term after a LOA, will my OGS also automatically be moved forward, or do I need to make arrangements for this?

If you take a Leave of Absence and have remaining terms in your official time to completion, then the OGS funding will be deferred to the next available term (that does not have an OGS award already in place).

Do students need to contact SSHRC, NSERC or CHIR to defer this award?

You cannot defer your award. However, you can defer your registration for a term by taking a Leave of Absence and your funding will be moved to the next term.

New incoming students who request to defer their admission and have an external award can request to change or defer their award start date prior to commencing the award.

Professional Development

What professional development resources are still available to me?

FGPA continues to offer one-on-one writing consultations to assist you with writing-related challenges, or to discuss the effectiveness of your research and writing strategies. To request a consultation by phone or through other electronic means, please fill out and submit this web form.  PD workshops have now finished for the winter term.

There are many other resources available to you, including a new curriculum entitled “Trajectories”. Please click here for details.

Campus Services

How can I get my student ID card if I’m taking courses online and not physically present on campus?

New students should submit a photo through  An email will be sent to you when the photo is reviewed and will have further instructions. Students who are not physically on campus do not need a student ID card.  Library Access and other services are available remotely using your Carleton login credentials.  All details and instructions can be found on the Campus Card website.

Is the Carleton Bookstore still offering services?

The Carleton University Bookstore continues to offer lots of services including:

  • Free Shipping with all domestic orders through the Carleton Bookstore website This includes various formats of course materials, supplies, apparel, technology, and more.
  • The Bookstore’s rental return date is April 25. To get a FREE return label for your current rental, please contact Kelly, the manager at the Bookstore at
  • Textbook adoptions are still being accepted. If you are teaching a course during the summer term, be sure to submit your textbook adoptions ASAP to give the Bookstore time to get physical and/or digital copies of the materials you need. Submit your textbook adoption form.
  • If you have questions or concerns, please contact

How can I access mental health support?

Click here to view the FAQ about mental health services specifically for graduate students.


What if I have a defence (PhD, Masters or Proposal defence) or my comprehensive exams are taking place during the COVID-19 pandemic?

FGPA is using online approaches, such as ZOOM, to facilitate defences remotely. For PhD defences, Information Technology Services (ITS) has been very helpful in successfully conducting several defences so far. The Associate Dean will continue to coordinate the remote thesis defences with students and their committees. All other defences (Masters defences, proposals, etc.) will continue to be coordinated by the departments/program. ITS is available to help with facilitating the remote/online defences. Program/Departmental staff/faculty may contact Jonathan Lindsay in ITS ( for help and support in arranging the remote defences/thesis proposals. Arrangements for comprehensive exams are also being coordinated by the department/program. Graduate students should contact their graduate supervisor if they have questions about these elements of their program.

Will I be given extra time to complete my thesis or degree due to the COVID-10 pandemic?

Carleton University Senate (on the recommendation of the Graduate Faculty Board) has approved the extension of PhD times-to-completion (to 6 years). In addition, newly approved regulations require that decisions regarding extensions would be coordinated within the programs/departments. The COVID-19 pandemic impacted the way in which we operate and we are grateful for the departmental commitment to supporting students with compassion and flexibility during this difficult time.

Leave of Absence

Can I change my LOA to registered status?

In our effort to remain as flexible as possible, it is possible to do this, depending on the student’s circumstances.

If I take an LOA in May, can I cancel this LOA in July if research possibilities become available?

Yes, you can. If you alert FGPA, we will register you retroactively for the term.

If I take a Leave of Absence, will I be exempted from paying back my OSAP payments before I return for the next term?

FGPA is not directly responsible for the administration of OSAP, however, we are happy to refer this query to the AWARDs office, which is directly responsible for the administration of OSAP.


I have a question related to my research. Where can I go for help?

The Carleton Office for Research Initiatives and Services has prepared this list of FAQs. You may also want to talk with your research supervisor.

What if I haven’t defended yet but my research has been interrupted and I can’t progress in my work?

Please contact our Graduate Registrar at if you would like to request a leave of absence (LOA). We are cognizant of the fact that the collective response to COVID-19 may have resulted in interruptions in your research and requests for LOA will be reasonably accommodated.


Is there any new information about services being offered by the Library?

Please visit the MacOdrum Library website for up-to-date information: