How does the OGS program work?
An Ontario Graduate Scholarship is valued at up to $15,000 for one year ($5,000 per term for up to three terms) and is jointly awarded by the Province and Carleton University. The Province pays two-thirds of the cost (i.e. up to $10,000 over 3 terms) and Carleton pays one-third (i.e. up to $5,000 over 3 terms). OGS is different from other prestigious external awards such as SSHRC and NSERC since it requires a matching contribution from the University. Note that, If you are in receipt of OGS, FGPA will report this to the Ministry (OSAP) on your behalf.
These awards are $5,000 per term (2-3 consecutive terms).
- A Canadian citizen, Permanent Resident, or Protected Person under subsection 95(2) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (Canada) at the time of the application deadline; International students who are studying in Ontario with a study permit under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (Canada) at the time of application are eligible to apply for the allotted OGS international student awards
- All students must have a 10.0 GPA (A-) in each of their last two years of full-time study
- Currently enrolled in a full-time graduate program at Carleton University or intend to pursue a graduate degree program at Carleton University in 2023-24
- Must be planning to study full-time next year; students with disabilities may study part-time
- Students who are in or will be going into an extension term are not eligible to hold an OGS
- Students whose program time to completion is before Dec. 31st of the academic year in which you would hold the award are not eligible to apply (please verify using your audit in Carleton Central or with your department)
- Cannot be in default on any Canadian government-sponsored loan
- Cannot have held more than a maximum of six years government funding
- Maximum Support Limits
- Master’s students can receive an OGS award for a maximum of two (2) academic years
- PhD students can receive an OGS award for a maximum of four (4) academic years
- All students cannot exceed a lifetime maximum of six (6) years of government-funded graduate awards. This includes the following programs:
- Canadian Institute of Health Research (CIHR)
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS)
- Ontario Trillium Scholarship (OTS)
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC)
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC)
- Queen Elizabeth II Graduate Scholarship in Science and Technology
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS)
- Both program maximums and lifetime maximum must be followed
Applications open on August 15, 2022 and close on November 15, 2022 at 11:59PM EST. The referee deadline is December 1, 2022.
1. Students cannot hold an OGS award in the same term (overlapping) or in the same award year as a scholarship from SSHRC, NSERC, CIHR, QEII-GSST, or another OGS. Students cannot receive payment from two OGS awarded in consecutive years in the same term.
2. All students must have a GPA of 10.0 (A-) in each of the last two years of full-time study.
3. If you cannot find answers to your Questions on the FGPA website, then please contact Jenna McConnell (email@example.com)
1. If I am currently enrolled at Carleton where do I apply? You apply to the institution you plan to attend. Please check the website for OGS information at each specific institution you are interested in attending.
2. If I have graduated or completed my program at an Ontario university in the past year, where do I apply? You apply to the institution you plan to attend. Please check the website for OGS information at each specific institution you are interested in attending.
3. If I graduated from a university outside of Ontario or if I graduated from an Ontario university more than a year ago, where do I apply? Apply to the institution you plan to attend graduate school. Please check the specific institution website for information about their OGS process. If you plan to attend Carleton, please send your application to the Graduate Administrator at the Carleton department you plan to attend.
4. Can I fax my OGS application to Carleton and/or photocopy the OGS application form and the reports from the professors? No. All students, who have a banner ID and can access Carleton Central, should be using the online application. All others use the forms below (scroll down)….original OGS applications and documents must be submitted.
5. What is the numerical equivalent of an A-? 80%
6. On the application form, what is meant by “Proposed Studies”? This is the program you will be registered in at the time you take up the award.
7. Do I have to ask a faculty member from the university I am attending to write an academic assessment (reference) or can I ask a faculty member from another university? You may ask any faculty member, regardless of the university. If you are applying to a professional program, your referee may be a professional. However, they should speak to your academic ability.
8. Do the Academic Assessments from the referees have to be submitted by mail in a sealed envelope? No. If completing your application online through Carleton Central, the referees you have indicated in your application will receive a system-generated email once you have officially submitted your application. The email will provide details on how to complete the online assessment form. Make sure the email addresses you provide are correct. For external applicants completing a PDF application, the Academic Assessment forms should be sent directly by the referee to the Departmental Graduate Administrator either from an official email address or by mail. A copy of the form is included below in the documents. Applicants should monitor the status of the assessment to ensure they are submitted prior to the deadline. Referees have until Dec.1 to submit their assessments.
9. Do I have to send an original (official) transcript? Yes.
- All students, who have MC1 credentials and can access Carleton Central should be using the online application, available through Carleton Central. If you have applied to Carleton in the past but never attended or who have graduated and are planning to come back and have MCI credentials, please log into Carleton Central and use the online form. You must complete the online application and upload the requested documents (found in Carleton Central under Awards and Financial Assistance, Graduate Online Application Forms) by Nov. 15. Your referees will be notified by email once you have submitted your application. They will then have until Dec. 1 to submit their referee form.
- All Other Applicants should fill out the OGS application form available under “Application Forms” on this page (scroll down). Please DOWNLOAD the .pdf forms and complete. Once completed, you must print it and include it in your OGS application package.
- Get Transcripts: Applicants must provide up-to-date official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate studies, including transcripts for the fall semester of the year of application.
- Request two References: We will accept one professional reference but it must speak to your academic abilities.
- Submit Your Completed Application: Applicants with MC1 credentials should submit their complete application online. Applicants without MC1 credentials that are submitting a PDF application should submit their complete application including official transcripts and other documents to the Graduate Administrator in the department you intend to apply to at Carleton. Application deadline is Nov. 15. Referees have until Dec. 1 to submit their assessments.
- Accept Your Offer: If you have a pending decision from SSHRC, NSERC or CIHR and have been successful in the OGS competition, please accept your OGS offer. If you then receive a positive result regarding a different external award, your funding will be revised. Students who applied through Carleton Central should accept through there as well. If you submitted a paper application, you will need to print out the OGS 2023-2024 Notice of Decision Form and submit it to the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs, 512 Tory Building or email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application Forms for the 2023-24 Paper Application
Please download and save a blank copy before completing these forms. PDF applications should be submitted to the Graduate Administrator in the department you intend to apply to at Carleton. A complete OGS package must include all required forms and transcripts. Optional forms can also be included, if applicable.
- OGS Application Form (Required)
- Application Checklist (Required)
- Research/Program Statement (Required)
- Academic Assessment Form (Required) – two referee assessments are required but these should be submitted directly to the Departmental Graduate Administrator from an official email address or by mail
- Copy of Student Study Permit (Required for temporary resident visa students ONLY)
- Awards Page (Optional/If applicable)
- Publications Page (Optional/If applicable)
- Example of a Successful OGS proposal
- Example (two) of a Successful OGS proposal
- Application Tips (power point presentation)
Departments, please note that you will need to submit a Departmental Ranking Sheet to FGPA.